Prosperity Now (formerly CFED) believes that everyone deserves a chance to prosper. Since 1979, we have helped make it possible for millions of people, especially people of color and those of limited incomes, to achieve financial security, stability and, ultimately,
prosperity. We offer a unique combination of scalable practical solutions, in-depth research and proven policy solutions, all aimed at building wealth for those who need it most.
We seek a Summer Research Intern in our Washington, DC, office to assist with key functions of work for the Applied Research Team. The Research Intern will provide research support on projects related to asset building, credit counseling and debt management, innovation, and customer and market insights. Candidates should exhibit intellectual curiosity; an energetic, entrepreneurial approach to challenges; a willingness to engage with others and work collaboratively; and the drive toward fulfilling Prosperity Now’s mission. Interns will work 30-40 hours per week.
• Provide research support in several of Prosperity Now’s core policy and program areas including: collecting and analyzing quantitative data, preparing tables, reviewing literature, conducting surveys, interviews, and summarizing, analyzing, and/or coding resulting data;
• Perform program support activities including website content development and management, program-related communications support such as for webinars, and coordination of meetings and conferences;
• Assist with the drafting and editing of reports, publications, presentations, blog posts and other communications materials;
• Provide administrative support to Applied Research staff, such as meeting scheduling and coordination, note-taking, file management, etc.; and
• Other duties as assigned.
The internship period will begin in June 2019 and is expected to end in August 2019. Additional benefits include opportunities for personal and professional development through exposure to Prosperity Now’s work; opportunities to participate in seminars, conferences and meetings; and mentorship by senior colleagues.
Prosperity Now’s staff thrives on open collaboration, intellectual curiosity, an energetic, entrepreneurial approach to challenges, and hard work and drive toward fulfilling our mission. We seek an incumbent who embodies those values and possesses the following qualifications:
• Current (or completed) higher undergraduate student with major in marketing research, behavioral economics, political science, sociology, public policy, mathematics, statistics, or related field or the equivalent work experience in the field;
• Excellent writing and analytical skills;
• Strong organizational skills with attention to detail;
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a broader team;
• Demonstrated online research skills (e.g. academic journal databases, think tank and academic center resources, secondary news and website research);
• Strong computer and database management skills; proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint);
• Interest in developing the following research skills. Actual experience with any of these research methods is a plus:
• Experience with statistical analysis of secondary data (e.g., Census, BLS, BEA, etc.) or large-scale survey data;
• Experience with qualitative research methods, including literature reviews, coding and analysis of qualitative data;
• Experience with designing, fielding or analyzing program surveys;
• Experience with research analysis and presentation software (e.g., SPSS, Stata, AtlasTI, Qualtrics);
• Experience with or interest in behavioral science, marketing research and program evaluation.
Prosperity Now is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff.