Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That’s because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation’s toughest challenges—and we’re committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We’re making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
MITRE’s Center for Transforming Health is looking for a Health and Behavioral Economics Strategic Advisor to join our team . This individual requires expertise in a devising and leading our sponsors and key stakeholders to adapt a behavioral, consumer-driven mindset and approach—with a focus on greater convenience, service, and support to health consumers and providers as well as the potential economic impact to the healthcare eco-systems. With the increase in health consumer cost sharing through increased prevalence of high-deductible healthcare plans and high levels of co-insurance, consumers are becoming far less insulated from the true cost of care. With the increased price dispersion in highly utilized services and the availability of better tools and data to make decisions, it is important to engage health consumers and to understand the barriers and motivators that could incentive consumers and providers to engage in healthcare decisions for services.
As a member of MITRE’s Center for Transforming Health, the candidate would provide strategic support to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Department of Health and Human Services, other Federal Health Agencies and the broader patient-centered innovation community as needed. This position requires specific subject matter expertise in behavioral health economics, consumer engagement in healthcare cost and quality for selection of health services and interest in price transparency, technical and policy barriers and opportunities, within the Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Advise senior government sponsors and MITRE leadership on how to use health and behavioral economics to inform agency strategic initiatives
- Lead research and design models to simulate potential behavioral changes that could inform policy direction
- Develop new health economic models and perform statistical and economic analyses
- Present findings from health economic impact analysis to senior government sponsors and interdisciplinary teams of MITRE colleagues (both verbally and writing)
- Advise and contribute to the development of financial and regulatory impact analyses sections of proposed and final rules related to physician payment models
- Deliver strategic advice and counsel to HHS, DOD, VA, and other healthcare entities for the advancement of health outcomes.
- Connect with experts in the field of behavioral economics in relation to healthcare services, legislations and regulations.
- Develop working relationships within MITRE across all levels of staff, management and executives to leverage the corporation’s deep experience across a broad set of domains.
- Serve as a resource to other MITRE organizations in health and behavioral economics area, including MITRE health care experts with backgrounds in law, health IT and other fields.
- Graduate degree in health economics, behavioral economics public health, or a related field with 10 or more years of experience in consulting/partnering, strategic development or planning, business development, or market/product development in healthcare.
- At least 8 years of broad-based recent health insurance/healthcare experience with specific experience in Federal or State-run programs
- Recognized expert in the field with demonstrated experience in federal or commercial healthcare
- Direct experience contributing to the analysis of sponsor’s needs, development of business strategies, and serving as a liaison to senior executives, external stakeholders, and healthcare sponsors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate analyses and findings to various stakeholders, including executive leadership
- Ability to clearly present findings from economic analyses (verbally and in writing) to senior government officials; Experience in briefing senior OMB and CMS officials about economic analysis
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams, and to juggle multiple initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to lead, manage, and conduct multiple types of technical and economic analyses (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, statistical)
BS and 15 years of related experience.