JUST Capital is an independent nonprofit working to build a more just marketplace that better meets the needs of all Americans. We are seeking an experienced, results-driven researcher to take on the critical role of Director of Survey Research & Insights.
At JUST, everything starts with the voice of the American public. Each year, we survey Americans to identify the issues that are most important in defining just business behavior today. The results underpin everything we do. They power our Rankings of America’s Most JUST Companies with Forbes. They drive our tools and products, including the JUST ETF. And they provide a detailed and timely benchmark of America’s views on business today.
The successful candidate will be able to combine technical rigor, entrepreneurial creativity, and vision. They will have proved their ability to manage all aspects of a complex survey program and be an effective communicator capable of engaging all our stakeholders – from internal colleagues, board members and donors, to the corporations we rank, to the media and other program partners. This person will also demonstrate intellectual curiosity and thought leadership inspired by this unique opportunity to make a difference.
Overall success will be driven by the person’s ability to capture the sentiments, preferences and values of the American people regarding just corporate behavior and translate those findings into actionable insights that will help us drive corporate behavior change.
• Frame, articulate and bring to life a leading-edge polling and survey approach at JUST Capital that helps carry the organization forward in its mission.
• Manage the design and execution of all stages of our mission-critical research program including
• focus groups and large-scale survey research studies,
• overall strategy development, budgeting, vendor selection and management
• project management, questionnaire development, sample design, data collection, data analysis, reporting, and communication of final results
• Work with the entire team to continuously refine and improve the JUST research program, designing and deploying innovative and creative new approaches as well as established methods for market research, choice modelling, and consumer preference and behavior.
• Manage existing partnerships with external survey research organizations and panel providers, as well as identify new partnerships as needed;
• Identify and build strong working relationships with leading market research, behavioral economics and social science professionals from academia, government, and the private sector.
• Analyze and synthesize complex results and work collaboratively with the marketing and external engagement teams to translate them into actionable insights that will influence and incentivize corporate behavior and support our brand narrative with the media.
• Contribute to the creation of our annual Survey Report, as well as other articles, and thought leadership projects.
• Present progress updates to the Board and work closely with the Research Committee Chairperson, the JUST team and outside advisors on methodology design, execution and analysis.
• Serve as an internal staff leader and manager, articulating the vision and opportunities of the work as part of the overall organizational strategy, and providing coaching to team members.
• A commitment to and passion for the JUST Capital mission.
• Demonstrated experience managing and conducting all stages of both qualitative (focus group) research and quantitative (survey-based) projects.
• Proven project management, time management and multi-tasking abilities while maintaining excellent attention to detail.
• Strong, persuasive writing and communication skills, including an ability to articulate progress, define and overcome challenges, and provide recommendations in completing projects on time and within budget.
• Able to adapt communication style and approach to varying audiences and stakeholders. Proven ability to present research findings to non-research audiences.
Strong Technical Skills
• 7-10 years’ minimum experience in survey research and applied analytics, or related fields.
• At least intermediate level multivariate statistical training.
• Experience and/or familiarity working with: MaxDiff, conjoint, or other choice methods.
• Expertise in the following, or similar software programs: Qualtrics, R, SPSS, NVivo, Sawtooth
• An undergraduate degree is required, and an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
Collaborative, Creative Approach
• Ability to bring vision, creativity, and strategic thinking to the design and management of high-profile research projects.
• A positive, entrepreneurial attitude, openness and willingness to learn from others, strong interpersonal skills and a passion to make an impact.
• Demonstrated experience as an effective team leader and team player, with the ability to work effectively as part of a positive, highly collaborative group that shares tasks and responsibilities.
• Strong network of relationships and contacts throughout the professional market research industry, including academia, government, and the private sector.
Benefits & Work Environment
The compensation and benefits package at JUST Capital has been thoughtfully designed to ensure we model what we measure when it comes to just business behaviors. Benefits include:
• Fair, equitable, and competitive pay.
• Best-in-class health, vision and dental care benefits for you and your family including membership in One Medical Group for on-demand primary care and access to Health Advocate, the nation’s leading healthcare advocacy & assistance company.
• Respect for work-life-balance, including a flexible work from home policy.
• 20 personal time off days, as well as 14 holidays a year – and we encourage you to take them!
• Other paid time off when the office generally closes the last week of the year.
• Fully paid parental leave of up to 12 weeks and backup childcare.
• 401(k) retirement plan, with employer matching of 100% up to 4% of salary.
• Subsidized gym memberships, Citi Bike membership, and pre-tax commuter benefits.
JUST Capital is a small organization staff-wise and operates with a nimble, entrepreneurial mindset. As such, in addition to the key responsibilities, candidates should have professional work approaches, be self-starters and possess well developed organizational skills honed to allow him/her to be effective and resourceful in a fast-paced workplace. Further, adaptability, good colleagueship, working with cross-functional teams to deliver projects on tight deadlines, and internal community building are important attributes of the JUST Capital culture.
About Just Capital
JUST Capital is an independent nonprofit that uses markets and data to drive change on the issues Americans care about most – income inequality, job creation, reducing environmental impacts, supporting local communities, and more. We believe business can and must be a greater force for good and that our rankings, data-driven tools, insights, and indexes will help all market participants – corporations, investors, policymakers, nonprofits, and the general public – build a more just marketplace. Co-founded in 2013 by a group of concerned people from the world of business, finance, and civil society – including Paul Tudor Jones II, Deepak Chopra, Rinaldo Brutoco, Arianna Huffington, and others – JUST Capital is supported by some of the country’s premier philanthropies, including the Ford Foundation and The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and has forged partnerships with an array of elite research institutions, including MIT, Harvard, and NORC at the University of Chicago.
Due to the pace of these
searches, candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Applications should include a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest
in working for a nonprofit and this specific role and your qualifications along
with your resume.
Submit your resume and cover letter to: https://justcapital.com/careers. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Due to volume, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.