BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help professionals everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists. We’re already transforming the way companies approach leadership development at high-performing organizations, such as LinkedIn, Salesforce, Visa, Deloitte, and Logitech. At BetterUp you’ll have an opportunity to work in an exciting culture, surrounded by talented, motivated and intellectually stimulating colleagues who thrive on helping executives to solve their most pressing business challenges.
BetterUp is seeking a passionate and talented Learning Sciences Lead to join our Programs team. This person will serve as a subject matter expert in behavioral and learning sciences, and advise on the design, development, and continued innovation of BetterUp’s learning content and experiences. The Learning Sciences Lead will participate in prototyping new user experiences, advise on content strategy for BetterUp’s content library, perform research to inform team strategy and initiatives, and manage a portfolio of key strategic projects. This role is highly cross-functional in nature, involving close collaboration with teams across the company, including Product, Marketing, Labs, and Operations, among others. The Learning Sciences Lead will have involvement in a wide array of projects and be a key contributor in shaping BetterUp’s user experiences.
This is a highly entrepreneurial and creative role that requires an individual with stellar communication skills, a player mindset, and the ability to execute on multiple projects concurrently within a scrappy, startup environment. This person responds effectively to shifts in prioritization and the broader business environment, methodically navigates ambiguity, and is driven by an intense curiosity for customer needs and market trends. As a subject matter expert, the Learning Sciences Lead is passionate about staying current on the latest research in relevant disciplines.
Responsibilities / Skills / Attributes
- Leverages multi-disciplinary expertise in behavioral sciences and new technology development to advise on the creation of new, innovative behavior change interventions
- Applies scientific expertise in innovative ways to develop effective, accessible learning experiences that advance users along from “learning to doing to being”
- Crafts compelling user experiences balancing scientific perspectives with fun, playfulness, and other factors that lead to sustained user engagement and followership
- Executes work products with rigor, without being unnecessarily perfectionist. This person holds the highest standards in their work, digesting feedback, and iterating in pursuit of delightful customer experiences
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to move projects forward through ambiguity
- Strong aptitude for team collaboration and open communication, with demonstrated experience having excelled in team-oriented environments
- Takes ownership of strategic projects from end-to-end, identifying key stakeholders, collaborating seamlessly and communicating clearly to execution to predetermined timeline
- Shows strong nose for innovation and value, using strong judgement and swift decision making that leads to results
- A restless learner who stays up to date on the latest in research and academic literature in behavioral and learning science
- Demonstrates curiosity and creativity, constantly tinkering, adjusting, researching, and testing
- Passionate about building and contributing to the growth and culture of BetterUp
These are a collection of experiences that we believe make someone successful in this position. If you feel that you have the majority of these or other qualifications that will ensure your success in this role, please apply!
- Graduate level degree (PhD preferred) in cognitive psychology or relevant discipline in the behavioral sciences
- 4+ years of professional experience in a fast-paced work environment, including substantial project management experience
- 2+ years of experience in an applied setting developing user-facing programs, ideally via new software technologies
- Passion for coaching, education, self-improvement or other fields that lead to human well-being
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills – must have both a curiosity and the skills to analyze and make meaning out of data and translate data into action
- Nice to have: experience in a high-growth startup
We provide amazing benefits, but if you ask the team, they’ll tell you that the greatest benefit we offer employees is an incredibly meaningful mission and transformative work.
- Full coverage medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited use, at your own discretion, vacation policy
- 14 paid annual holidays
- 5 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 “Volunteer Days” to give back
- Professional development through BetterUp coaching for you and a significant other
- 401(k) self contribution
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement