At BetterUp, our mission is to help everyone lead their lives with clarity, purpose, and passion. We accomplish that goal by providing scalable, personalized talent development solutions, and by generating state-of-the-art science to elevate our collective understanding of human thriving and achievement.
BetterUp Labs is currently seeking an innovative, early-career quantitative behavioral scientist who is passionate about advancing our understanding of the inner life and whole person performance of professionals around the globe. In this role, you will help design and implement original research to learn more about what makes us tick when we’re at work – what are the key insights for individuals, teams, and organizations that not only drive success but allow each and every professional to achieve their best? You’ll need to draw on your budding experience as an experimental social scientist, inferential statistician, computational scientist, and lover of all things Data to uncover the truly ground-breaking answers to these questions.
This role will provide a rich opportunity to gain experience in basic and applied research and the translation of science to practice. At BetterUp you’ll have the opportunity to work side by side with talented, motivated, and intellectually stimulating colleagues who thrive on helping organizations solve their most pressing behavioral business challenges.
This is a remote role, anywhere in the US!
- Help design and run innovative, category-defining studies across varying disciplines and modalities to answer fundamental questions about the inner life and wellbeing of global professionals.
- Analyze both new and existing data to generate insights for both internal (marketing, product) and external (research community, prospects, customers) audiences.
- Develop best practices for collaboration, maintenance, and reporting of analytics projects.
- Produce written and visual reports of findings, both for internal presentation and for conference proceedings and/or academic publication.
- Study and surface significant emerging findings from multiple behavioral disciplines (psychology; computational/data science; behavioral economics; cognitive neuroscience; motivational science) to inform experimentation and other relevant business decisions.
- Practice rigorous science and compelling data storytelling.
- Think creatively and interdisciplinarily. Draw from the cutting-edge across academic and industry to inform study design and analysis.
- Demonstrate unerring responsiveness to and seamless collaboration with internal customers, including marketing, product, sales, customer success, and operations teams.
- Learn continuously to stay on your edge in the relevant scientific literature.
- Collaborate without ego, willing to take on small tasks and large.
- Hold an advanced degree from a top-tier university in one of the following fields: computational social science, data science, experimental psychology, cognitive neuroscience, behavioral economics. (B.S. holders with strong computational/statistical backgrounds also considered.)
- Proficient in R (tidyverse). Proficiency in Python (Pandas) a big plus.
- Experience building and understanding statistical models, including hierarchical/multilevel models, Bayesian inference, cross-validation, and optimization. Knowledge of applied deep learning methods a plus.
- Proficient in basic theory and implementation of data visualization. D3 proficiency a plus.
- Basic SQL competency.
- Proficient in Qualtrics. Experience building data pipelines using the Qualtrics API a plus.
- Expertise in human behavioral data measurement, collection, and analysis.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated desire for continued learning and development across different academic disciplines.
- Full coverage medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited use, at your own discretion, vacation policy
- Annual $1000 learning stipend to level up your skills and proficiencies.
- “Volunteer days” to give back to your local community
- Professional development through BetterUp coaching for you and a significant other
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement and promotion