Busara is a research and advisory firm dedicated to advancing and applying behavioral science in the emerging markets. Busara applies rigorous research methods and evaluation tools to enable partners to improve program design, assess existing interventions, and optimize internal processes.We work with governments, NGOs, private companies and academics to understand human behavior, and design solutions to overcome behavioral barriers to products, programs and policies as they scale. Busara operates from its permanent offices in Kenya, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania, and has worked on projects with with partners across the continent. We currently have 69 active projects, 112 completed projects,36 academic affiliations, 3 operational decision labs , and 145 full time staff.
The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Behavioral Design Specialist in Kenya. The Behavioral Design Specialist will support the Projects Division team in delivering projects by providing expertise and conducting high quality qualitative and design thinking research.
The Behavioral Design specialist is expected to have knowledge of qualitative and design thinking research methods and tools including strong research, synthesis, ideation and visual storytelling skills. The Behavioral Design Specialist will engage in a variety of research activities, including developing innovative qualitative research tools, providing training to staff on carrying out qualitative and design thinking research, facilitating co-design workshops and rapid prototyping and acting in an advisory role to the projects division.
They are required to have a high level of self-motivation and energy, an optimistic “can-do” attitude, and very strong analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills. Due to the sensitive nature of our projects and our clients, extreme attention to detail is required.
- Create training content for qualitative research
- Think of innovative qualitative methods
- Act as a technical advisor to help staff design and create effective qualitative research projects
- Communicating and demonstrating the value of Qualitative Research approaches through exceptional problem-solving skills
- Develop a qualitative research course to train Busara staff in how to think like a qualitative researcher and carry out high quality research.
- Contributing to thought leadership initiatives and activities related to qualitative research and experimental design,
- Develop innovative qualitative research methods by employing a rich and innovative mosaic of research methodologies, pulling upon various resources – ranging from psychology, sociology and anthropology to philosophy, economics and the humanities
- Keep abreast of developments in qualitative research and design, and promote qualitative research capability within Busara through knowledge sharing and training activities and the development of new approaches.
- Collaborate effectively with Busara projects team members at all stages of projects; maintaining responsibility for your own time and deliverables
- Design and execute qualitative research studies from A to Z, including methodology, recruitment, fieldwork, analysis and reporting
- Design and lead co-creation workshops with target consumers, thought leaders, and others.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, anthropology, history,social sciences, public policy, psychology, journalism or other fields will be considered.
- Prior design experience in a creative consulting environment: At least 3 years of experience applying human insights and systems thinking to create breakthrough solutions as a consultant or in-house designer for a leading design firm or organization. Proven ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, client-centric professional services environment with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Prior experience in social impact or development: A passion for social change typically evidenced by a strong interest and prior experience applying creative approaches to social issues such as economic development, global health, education or the environment.
- Expert knowledge of HCD and design thinking methods and tools: Strong research, synthesis, ideation and visual storytelling skills. Strong ability to present information in a concise, insightful, structured and provocative manner, both in written and oral forms. Strong ability to communicate the power of design to stakeholders from varied backgrounds. Exceptional problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Deep skill-set and proven track record in one or more of the following design disciplines: Product design, service design, digital design & prototyping and/or information visualization.
- 3+ years conducting qualitative research within a business setting
- 3+ years of experience conducting interviews and moderating group dialogues
- 3+ years experience utilizing ethnographic research tools: participant observation, semiotics, surveys, journals, etc.
- A Master’s degree in anthropology, history,social sciences, public policy, psychology, journalism or related fields
- Experience managing and mentoring staff
- Familiarity with and interest in behavioral economics or science
- Familiarity in the contexts which we work in